Over Christmas, my mother-in-law bought a little book of slow-cooker recipes at the check-out stand produced by Prevention Magazine. It sat on the counter at her house and caught the attention of both me and Rob. We heart slow-cooker recipes.
Not realizing each other had seen the book, we both brought it up in conversation and wanted to show each other a yummy-looking recipe we had found. It turned out that it was the same recipe.
Man, we’re adorable.
We copied it down and had a chance to make it this week. The verdict? It was SUPER tasty! We liked it enough that I thought it was blog-worthy, and I plan to put it in our regular meal rotation.
Honestly, I would say that it’s “semi-slow cooker” because #1: You have to brown the chicken first, and #2: It calls for the chicken to be cooked in the slow cooker for 2 hours. Really? I want to throw it in at 8am and enjoy it at 5pm. In light of this, we did some modifications to make this recipe work with our schedules.
Important recipe notes:
- Rob cut up and browned the chicken in the morning. I put it in the crockpot at 1:00pm and cooked it for 3 hours (instead of 2), then added the veggies. Not sure if I’ll be able to do this on a work day and when Rob’s not available in the morning, but it’s possible, and has potential for being quicker than most dinners.
- We planned on making wild rice or quinoa to go with, but we didn’t, and it was still super tasty all by its self.
- I also added in an extra package of veggies – because, veggies.
- I didn’t have time (or want to spend time) cutting up ginger, so I bought a squeezie tube of cut ginger from the store. This stuff is awesome. It has a bit of sugar in it, which bugs me, but it makes using ginger that much more possible for me. Most times I opt for ginger powder because I just don’t want to chop fresh ginger (lazy? yes.). Squeezie tube ginger is a happy medium.
So here you go – give it a try and let me know what you think!
Slow Cooker Ginger-Almond Chicken
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6-8), trimmed and cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger (or squeezie tube ginger)
- ½ cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 package (10-12 oz) frozen stir-fry vegetables (or 2)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ bunch scallions, slivered
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Over medium-high heat, heat oil in a skillet and saute chicken for about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Mix onion, ginger and teriyaki sauce in a bowl. Pour sauce over chicken and stir until coated.
- Place cover on slow cooker and and cook on LOW for 2 hours (or 3), or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Turn to HIGH, stir in frozen vegetables, and cook 20-30 minutes more – until vegetables are tender (but should also still be crisp).
- Before serving, stir in almonds and scallions.
And that’s it!